Back when I was a single girl just out of college, I had a beauty routine that lasted close to an hour. It was such an important part of my day, and one I never missed no matter what. It didn’t matter if I was headed to the grocery store or to the office — I had to have my hair and makeup just so. But things completely upend themselves when you have children. Suddenly, your beauty routine takes a backseat to breakfasts and baths and dozens of other things. And though I thought it could never happen, I swapped my beauty routine for no routine.
However, when you are so used to seeing yourself a certain way, it’s hard to see yourself any other way. So no-makeup-me was a foreign person, and one I wasn’t comfortable with. Over time, I have worked to develop a new norm — one that includes a highly abbreviated version of my former routine. Though I might not be as made up as I used to be, I am pretty happy with what I can accomplish in a mere 15 minutes.
My 15 Minute Beauty Routine
When you are pressed for time in the morning and need to have your beauty routine abbreviated, it’s key to focus on the most important things: hair, skin, eyes and lips.
- Skin: Start by applying a moisturizer with SPF. This protects your face from the sun’s rays, and gives your skin that necessary punch of moisture. This takes about 30 seconds.
- Hair: Next, blow dry out your hair. A quick blowout with a good hairdryer (love my ion dryer) and a big round brush will give your hair body and a polished look — so you’re already looking fab. This will take 5-7 minutes, depending on the length and thickness of your hair.
- Face: By now, your moisturizer has been absorbed, so you can move onto your skin tone. Use a sheer foundation and spread it all over (including your eyelids!). Apply a quick brush of blush to your cheeks.
- Eyes: Apply your eyeshadow next. Then, draw a thin black line right against the upper lashes. Finally, curl your eyelashes and apply a good lengthening mascara.
- Lips: Spread some gloss on your lips and go.
These simple steps will leave you looking and feeling glamorous in 15 minutes or less. And if you have a little more time, be sure to plug in your flat iron when you start your routine … then do a few quick swipes of your hair after your lips.